On our rest day, we dined out for lunch in small groups and so we ordered our usual healthy choices and for a treat, we shared the small stack of pancakes between the three of us (mainly because the girls were in pure disbelief that I had never had american pancakes with maple syrup). Of course, we were in America, they were served with ice cream : 0 but we did also order blueberries and banana to help us feel better about ourselves ; p
(It was far too much for me to contemplate ordering them with bacon too! I still cannot get my head around that combo!)
After being defeated by the plate that appeared in front of the three of us, it did confirm to me that yes they are very rich and no I wouldn’t necessarily rush out for those particular ones again, because I just felt sick. Now don’t get me wrong, I am sure the food coma that I entered afterwards, was pretty much down to the ice cream and syrup that was smothered all over them.
However, it got me thinking how I could make them work as a treat for breakfast at a weekend maybe, for my boyfriend and I or even better into a routine breakfast where they could actually fuel my days training. As a result, I came up with this recipe, which provided me with a high protein breakfast, high in fibre, low in saturated fat, whilst also fitting in 1-2 portions of my ‘5 a day’ in the bag.
Another, positive to note, is that it includes a Banana & Peanut butter combo 😍 (I used Meridian) NO really another positive to note, is that they are SO easy to prepare ahead of time and so you could and SHOULD increase the proportions to make enough for the rest of the week.(winner!) Then just store in the fridge and take out, as and when you need.
Let me know what you think, have a go at making them & tag me in your Acai & Blueberry American Pancakes versions on Instagram – @what_the_quark. Enjoy x
- 2 Eggs
- 100g Quark
- 1 Banana (mashed)
- 100g Buckwheat flour (use which you prefer)
- 25ml Almond Milk (any will do)
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil (for frying)
- 80g Blueberries (cut in half)
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 2 tsp Acai Powder
- To top
- ½ Chopped Banana
- 1 tbsp Meridian crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup (mix both together to get a runny consistency)
- Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix.
- Mash the banana in a bowl and add the yolks, quark, vanilla extract, milk and mix together.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients, throw in the blueberries.
- Separate the eggs, whisk the egg whites to a stiff peak.
- Fold in the egg whites gently.
- Melt the coconut oil in a frying pan and take 2 spoonfuls of mixture for 1 pancake.
- Fry until the top of the mix starts to bubble, then flip over and cook for a further minute, until cooked.
- Stack the pancakes drizzle with the peanut butter & maple syrup mix, blueberries, chopped banana and dive in with a fork.