I thought that it was about time to jump on the Z O A T S bandwagon and now I am hooked! These creamy banana & almond butter porridge zoats are in fact FABULOUS! I cannot believe I have never tried them before now. I now understand what its all about.
I remember first discovering Zoats last year on Instagram, through one of the accounts I follow –@whatiateforbreakfast. I always stalk food on Instagram and because she obviously shares the same passion as me when it comes to breakfast, I am regularly browsing her creations. Anyway, this was where I first saw/heard of them and at the time I was, shall we say, a little dubious. Now, I cannot see why I would go back to the standard bowl because they literally taste the same, only with an added, nutrient packed goodness!
Zoats refers to porridge oats with added shreds of courgette, which is also known as zucchini in the States. Zucchini and oats – Zoats! A bowl is literally just as easy to make as your usual porridge, only you add in some grated courgette whilst cooking, so don’t be put off! You seriously cannot taste any courgette flavour coming through at all, therefore for me it is a win win, its a great way of getting some extra veggies in, particularly if you need to disguise vegetables in meals from your kids. The courgette brings extra vitamin C, protein, and fibre to your meal, which explains why it has become such a popular trend. Then by getting adventurous with the toppings, you will have a fabulous, winter warmer breakfast bowl, that will always leave you wanting more! The possibilities are endless! As my friends down at Meridian had given me some goodies, I decided to put their delicious Smooth Almond Butter to good use, and matched it alongside its partner in crime ‘the banana’ for this great tasting combo!
I will definitely be experimenting with some other flavour combinations, so watch this space.
Let me know what you think and tag me in your attempts on instagram – @what_the_quark.
- 40g Porridge Oats
- 1 tsp Meridian Almond Butter
- 1 tbsp Quark
- ½ cup Almond Milk (use milk of your choice)
- 20g Grated Courgette
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- ½ Banana sliced to decorate
- Almonds to decorate
- Prepare two thirds of your usual amount of porridge oats.
- Grate as much courgette as you’d like into the pan, add milk.
- Cook over the hob for about five mins on a low heat, until creamy.
- Whilst zoats are cooking, whip up the quark & almond butter together and set aside.
- Pour oats into a bowl, add the banana, dollop the whip on top, decorate with almonds, sprinkle cinnamon, maple syrup and the grated courgette to finish and get a spoon in your mouth!