Last Friday, I was craving something unhealthy, quick and tasty! Therefore, these Chilli Con Carne Nachos came to my rescue and certainly did not disappoint. I had a severe case of DOMS (Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness) from the long, hard slog that I had put in to the gym during the week, so I was feeling sorry for myself and therefore, didn’t want to face cooking.
Anyway, we had some Quorn mince in the freezer, some avocados that needed using up (I hate waste) and we hadn’t had Mexican food for a while. It was either Burritos or Nachos! Nachos felt more naughty and was just the treat that I was looking for! I never order nachos when dining out at a restaurant, because they are always either fully loaded with lots of cheese and sour cream, (basically a heart attack on a plate) or they are a mere plate of lonely tortilla chips where you have to find the topping.
The best way of enjoying nachos, is by doing it yourself! You can get a good balance of all your favourite toppings, lots of chilli, veggies, flavour, fresh ingredients and grilled in the oven to warm it all through! I am actually salivating, they are so good. This recipe uses Quorn mince, which is a great source of protein and cuts out a lot of the saturated fat from the traditional beef mince recipes. It replaces, the usual sour cream, with Quark, to again cut out some of the fat content and reduce calories. Lastly, the reduced fat cheddar cheese is obviously a better choice, which means that you can use as much or as little as you like. With all of the veggies going into the dish too, it is really fulfilling.
Then to top it all off, theres minimal mess and washing up. Perfect. Now go and chill on the sofa and tuck in!
- 200g Quorn mince
- 1 tbsp of Coconut oil
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 Onion
- 60g Tortilla chips
- ½ Tin of Kidney Beans
- 3 tbsp Salsa
- 3 tbsp Quark
- 20g Reduced fat cheese (optional)
- 1 Avocado (mashed)
- Small bunch of Coriander
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Ground coriander
- ½ tsp Paprika (to Decorate)
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- Splash of Water (enough for desired consistency)
- Heat oil in the pan, add the onions and garlic and stir-fry for 2 -3 mins until soft.
- Stir in the chilli powder, ground cumin, ground coriander and tomato puree. Cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Add the Quorn mince, kidney beans, mix well. Season.
- Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered gently for 10 mins, stir occasionally.
- Serve on a layer of nachos.
- Top with salsa, quark, smashed avocado and grated cheese if desired.