This Coco-Nutty Granola is made regularly, in preparation for our breakfast for the coming week. It is so versatile, crunchy and packed with healthy fats, fibre and protein. I cannot get enough of it!
Breakfast is my very favourite meal of the day and I am one of those people who think about what I am going to have before I go to bed. As soon as I wake up, it’s my ONLY priority, before getting washed, dressed etc. In fact if I am running late anywhere in the morning, then I will sacrifice putting on my make up before leaving the house on an empty stomach!
Anyway, my favourites whilst growing up was granola but thought that because it was seen as the ‘healthier option’ of the breakfast aisle, I was practically eating it all the time, as a snack, for breakfast, sometimes post dinner (as my dessert with yoghurt and fruit). Little did I understand then about the sugar levels I was consuming. At the time, it was all about low-fat, fat-free foods for example, with no real emphasis or thought about sugar.
The majority of shop bought breakfast cereals, frustratingly contain copious amounts of sugar and for somebody who takes what they are eating seriously, will realise that these added sugars also contain lots of calories and often contain few other nutrients. Adults are advised not to eat more than 30g of free sugars a day and some cereals provide half of this in one meal.
When I became more educated within nutrition and the detail around the macronutrients, this is when I took a particular interest in cooking and seeking alternative substitutes and better quality ingredients. This was when I started switching from the flakes etc. and turned to good old Porridge Oats and making my own granola, inspired by Deliciously Ella.
Thanks to my friends at Meridian and Nutriseed, they gave me some products to use to help fuel my performance and so I featured Meridians’ Date Syrup for some natural sweetness and Nutriseeds’ Coconut Oil as a healthy butter substitute within the recipe. The only downfall of this recipe now is, that because only the good stuff is used, you just don’t want to stop eating it! I have to stop the boy, going in to grab it by the handful!
Let me know what you think and tag me in your Coco-nutty Granola on Instagram @what_the_quark.
- 120g Porridge Oats
- 100g Almonds
- 70g Seed Mix
- 50g Desiccated Coconut
- 100g Cranberries & Raisins
- 2 tbsp Nutriseed Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Meridian Date Syrup
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Blitz the almonds in a food processor for about 20 seconds, just so that they are slightly crushed.
- Mix in a bowl, the oats, seeds and almonds.
- Then gently heat the coconut oil, syrup and cinnamon until it has melted and formed a smooth liquid.
- Pour this into the mixing bowl and stir until all ingredients are well coated.
- Next, layer the mixture evenly onto a baking sheet and put into the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Ensure that you stir the mixture a couple of times, so that all of the oats become well toasted whilst preventing it from burning.
- Once browned and crunchy, allow the granola to cool. Throw the cranberries & raisins on top.
- Serve a portion immediately with a dollop of Quark and fresh fruit.
- Then store the remainder in an air tight container.