This Coconut & Chilli Cod Curry was put together, as I decided that I never buy Cod, I always opt for haddock, smoked haddock and seafood. Although, my last post featured a Chicken Garam Masala Curry, this curry has more of a Thai Style influence.
Every time I walk past it at the fresh fish counter, I think to myself ‘what can I do with it?’ for literally about 10 mins and the poor counter assistant is left staring at me, whilst inside my head I am flicking through recipe books, searching for cod recipe inspiration.
This particular day there was too great an offer on the last two cod loin fillets on the counter, so I bought on impulse and thought that I can think about it later. I often do that whilst clothes shopping but thats another story! I later remembered a good few years ago now, that one of my best friends was on weight watchers and once cooked me a fish dish that featured in her magazine at the time. At the time, I found it too hot to enjoy because I couldn’t really handle spice too well but put on a brave face and finished it with the help of litres of water. (Fajitas were too hot for me back then) haha, yes really!
Therefore, I tried to search for the recipe and discovered a similar one to the one my friend used here on the Weight Watchers website. This then gave me some inspiration to recreate my own version. It was certainly a hit with the boyf but would definitely serve in bowls next time, with the rice separate and then you can add as much of the sauce as you wish to your rice.
Let me know what you think and tag me in your attempts @what_the_quark.
- 2 cod fillets
- 150g Wholegrain Basmati Rice
- 100 ml light coconut milk
- 100 ml fish or vegetable stock
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 clove fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 medium fresh tomato, chopped
- 200g quark
- 80g fresh/frozen peas
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 whole fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs fresh coriander, to serve
- Cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan. Cook the onion, stirring, for 6 minutes.
- Add the ginger, garlic and spices and cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add the tomato and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until softened.
- Add the coconut milk, stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the fish, quark, peas, and spinach.
- Simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes or until the fish is just cooked.
- Serve sprinkled with coriander and chilli.