These Crispy Panko Chicken Goujons were just what I needed today after feeling a little under the weather!
I have been fighting this virus that has been going around and after a weekend of eating lots of fruit and vegetables to boost my immune system, today I felt like some comfort food. There wasn’t much inspiration in my fridge and then I literally opened the cupboard and the packet of panko crumbs fell out! (Lightbulb moment!) Panko Chicken Goujons it was!
When I went to Thailand in December, I went on a Thai Cooking Course where we made tempura prawns. They used panko breadcrumbs and were so simple and easy to make, I have regularly made them since I returned to serve as a starter.
Panko are japanese breadcrumbs and they are highly superior to any other type; try to source them out for this dish because this is what gives them a real good crunch in contrast to the succulent chicken underneath. Regular breadcrumbs are smaller in size and therefore don’t quite give the same contrast in texture.
Having not got a lot of inspiration in me today, nor much appetite, these Crispy Panko Chicken Goujons really were the answer. You can have them as a starter, for lunch or dinner; add some sweet potato wedges and salad for more of a fulfilling meal, in between a burger bun with some lettuce and tomato. Be adventurous with it.
Let me know what you think and tag me in your attempts on Instagram @what_the_quark. Enjoy! x
- 1 chicken breast fillet
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsps Quark
- 2 tbsps rapeseed oil
- 1 lemon quarter (optional)
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 spring Onion
- 6 basil leaves
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat.
- Cut chicken into 5/6 even mini fillets. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika & chilli powder.
- Place Panko evenly in shallow bowl.
- Dip fillets in quark in another shallow bowl & ensure completely coated; then coat fillets in panko bowl.
- Add chicken to the hot pan & cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until a golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add ingredients for salsa into food processor and pulse for a few seconds.
- Remove from pan and place on kitchen paper to cool slightly & remove excess oil.
- Sprinkle with paprika, serve with lemon quarter, salsa and quark to serve.